Legal blindness: In the better eye, (1) visual acuity 20/200 or less with correction, or (2) a visual field limitation such that the widest part of the visual field covers an angle no greater than 20 degrees.
Low vision: Severe visual impairment that typically is partially improved, but not fully resolved, by corrective lenses.
- Qualified Professional
- Professionals conducting assessments, rendering diagnoses of visual impairments, offering clinical judgments, and making recommendations for accommodations must be qualified to do so.
- Generally, the professional would be an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- The name, title, signature, and credentials of the professional making the diagnosis should be clearly listed on the documentation.
- Currency of Documentation
- Should reflect current functional limitations.
- Documentation Criteria
- Include a diagnosis, a description of current functional limitations, a history, and any relevant current medical information.