Patient Care TechnicianView Catalog Listing
CIP Code - 512601
The mission of the Certificate of Technical Studies in Patient Care Technician is to provide the educational and clinical tools necessary to become a Certified Nurse Assistant, EKG Technician, and/or Phlebotomist allowing the graduate to obtain gainful employment in health care facilities and to contribute to the overall economic development and workforce needs of the state.
The Certificate of Technical Studies in Patient Care Technician prepares individuals for a variety of job opportunities in health occupations areas and is generated to meet the need for cross training of employees in health care facilities. Graduates may find employment in long-term care facilities, hospitals, laboratories, and clinics where basic bedside nursing skills are required, as well as the skills of phlebotomy, performing electrocardiograms (EKG), stress testing, and holter monitoring procedures. All OBRA skill standards are included into this competency-based curriculum. The program consists of classroom/lab instruction and supervised/preceptor clinical activities. Prior to clinical, the student must present a current CPR card for Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers. Upon successful completion of this competency-based program, students may be eligible to take certification exams in Phlebotomy, Nursing Assistant, Electrocardiogram (EKG) Technician, and/or Patient Care Technician.
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Patient Care Technician program will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to function as a member of the health care team.
- Explain how the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance regulation impacts workers in the health care industry.
- Interact with clients, their support persons, and the health care team using appropriate communication techniques.
- Institute and maintain principles of infection control.
- Demonstrate professionalism and ethical conduct in the workplace.
- Become employed in the healthcare industry.