WeldingView Catalog Listing
CIP Code - 480508
The mission of the Technical Diploma in Welding is to prepare individuals for employment in the field of Welding. The program is designed to provide students with differing welding processes required in the welding industry.
The Technical Diploma in Welding prepares individuals for employment in the field of welding. Instruction is provided in various processes and techniques of welding including oxyfuel cutting, carbon arc cutting, shielded metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, gas metal arc welding, pipe-welding, plasma arc cutting, blueprint reading, weld symbols, and joints. After completion of this program, the student will have covered the skills designated by the AWS (American Welding Society) and will be prepared to take the AWS Entry Level Welder test.
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Welding program will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of, safety and health procedures, safe operation of hand and power tools, materials handling and maintaining a safe working environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and interpret welding drawings; an understanding of basic metallurgy, metal identification, and heat treatment of metals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of codes, standards, and agencies regulating the welding industry, weld quality standards, concepts in proper visual and destructive testing methods, and proper base metal preparation and joint fit-up.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cutting with an Oxyfuel (OFC) apparatus, cylinder and equipment safety, proper handling and setup.
- Demonstrate an understanding of principles of safely operating Air Carbon Arc Cutting (CAC-A) and Plasma Arc Cutting (PAC).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the following methods: shielded metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, and pipe welding.
- Perform AWS code quality welds using the following methods: shielded metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, gas metal arc welding, and pipe welding.