CIP Code - 110701
The purpose of the Associate of Science Degree in Computer Sciences is to build the bridge between budding computer programmers and their futures, while earning an associate degree from which they may further their academic pursuits or opt to enter the workforce with a foundational skillset in logic and design.
The goals of the Computer Sciences program are:
- To offer academically transferable courses in computer programming, software planning and design, information logic, discrete mathematics, and related Computer Science disciplines
- To prepare the student for a successful and lucrative career in computer programming or software engineering
- To incorporate innovative teaching competencies and programs leading to the associate degree in the Computer Science program, certificate programs, and specialized career training
- To integrate technology across the disciplines affording all students a variety of electronic learning opportunities
- To offer courses transferable to four-year colleges and universities
- To present opportunities for the Computer Science students to participate in relevant student organizations, community events, and interaction with the Information Technology community
- To participate with area businesses and industry to meet training needs
The Associate of Science in Computer Science combines English, math, social science, natural science, and humanities with computer science curriculum to create a program designed to meet the increasing demand for entry-level computer programmers. Further, a significant portion of the coursework is transferable for those students wishing to complete a bachelor’s degree.
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Computer Science program will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in the organization and creation of computer programs
- Apply the principles of software design independent of programming language
- Communicate using both verbal and written communication to accurately convey technical information and to critically read and interpret technical literature
- Successfully complete related industry-based certifications where applicable.